. . DEMOCRATIC PARTICIPATION . .
An article from Pressenza (reprinted according to Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license)
On 7 November from 6pm to 8pm in the Auditorium of the Casa del Reloj at the Matadero Cultural Centre, the 2nd World March for Peace and Nonviolence will be launched. This action will start on October 2, 2019, International Day of Nonviolence and finish on March 8, 2020, International Women’s Day,
It will be 10 years since the 1st WM that travelled through 97 countries on 5 continents. In this new edition, Madrid will be the beginning and end point for the 159-day circumnavigation of the planet. It will depart to the south of Spain, continuing through Africa, America, Oceania, Asia and Europe, estimating to pass through more than 100 countries.
In the launch event, the invited speakers will give the basic profile of this 2nd WM on the central themes that will be developed on its journey:
– International launch of the Campaign “Cities support the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons -TPNW”. Beatrice Fihn, ICAN Nobel Peace Prize 2017.
– Refoundation of the United Nations. Federico Mayor Zaragoza. Culture of Peace Foundation.
– 100 years of pacifist feminism. Carmen Magallón. President of WILPF Spain.
– The role of armies in the 21st century. Int. Conf. Costa Rica. Julio Rodríguez, ExJEMAD.
(Article continued in the right column)
(Article continued from the left column)
– International Network of Parliamentarians in Support of the TPNW. Deputy Pedro Arrojo.
– The culture of nonviolence: Alberto Amman. Actor
– Municipalism and Peace. Antonio Zurita. Global Citizenship.
– The TPNW and the World March. Carlos Umaña. Latin America Coordinator ICAN
– Mediterranean Sea of Peace. Tiziana Volta. World without Wars and Violence
– Processes of pacification. David Nassar. Colombia
– Twinning of the children. Sabina Colona-Preti and Isabel Bueno. Pequeñas Huellas and C.P: Nuñez de Arenas.
– The term “nonviolence”. Montserrat Prieto. World without Wars and Violence
– Routes and confluences 2WM. Martine Sicard. Coor. Int. World without Wars and Violence.
– Base Team 2WM. Luis Silva. Councillor.
– Marches in Central and South America. Sonia Venegas. Ecuador
– Human Symbols. Jesús Arguedas and Charo Lominchar. E.P. of Madrid 2WM
– The 2nd World March, a new attempt. Rafael de la Rubia. Coordination 2WM
The Mayors of Madrid, Manuela Carmena and Barcelona, Ada Colau, are invited to the event.
One of the objectives that is gaining more and more strength in this 2nd WM is to ensure that at its completion there are the conditions for the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons to enter into force, a treaty being promoted by 122 countries in the United Nations.
In order to attend you must register on the web: http://www.ciudadesdepaz.com/
Press statement: World Without Wars and Violence, Cities of Peace Madrid