.DISARMAMENT & SECURITY.
A communication from International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA)
Dear IANSA friends and members,
We are pleased to announce the 2018 Global Week of Action Against Gun Violence will be held from May 7 to May 14, 2018! Launched by IANSA in 2003, the annual Week of Action (WoA) is a chance for us to advocate collectively for an end to illicit trade and misuse of small arms and light weapons.
The theme for this year’s campaign is: “End the Crisis of Gun Violence”. Taking place one month before the Third Review Conference (RevCon3) on the UN Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects (PoA), this year’s Week of Action will be an opportunity for urge governments to:
* Exert greater control over ammunition–the component that makes guns lethal.
* Make concrete commitments to increasing women’s participation in small arms control.
* Provide greater support for survivors of gun violence.
* Crack down on corruption that facilitates the illicit trade in small arms and ammunition.
* Enact or strengthen legislation to disarm domestic violence abusers.
Within communities, the WoA is also a chance to:
* Raise awareness of intimate partner violence and the increased dangers of having a gun in the home.
* Network with young people who are also concerned about gun violence and help amplify their voices.
* Raise awareness of the support that survivors of gun violence need.
* Bring civil society organizations together for a common goal.
(Article continued in right column)
Do you think handguns should be banned?, Why or why not?
(continued from left column)
* Raise awareness of the Sustainable Development Goals–particularly SDG 16.4, “significantly reduce illicit financial and arms flows”, SDG 5.2, “eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls”, and SDG 4.A, the aim to “provide safe, non-violent, inclusive and effective learning environments for all”.
Suggested actions for the week include:
* Meeting with parliamentarians or government officials to press for concrete actions and compromises to reduce gun violence that can be reported at RevCon3;
* Engaging media outlets to ensure gun control and disarmament remain a priority in your country – linking it with the upcoming RevCon3;
* Launching a social media campaign (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and blogs) to push governments to take meaningful and effective actions to prevent gun violence. Where possible, use the hashtags #WeekOfAction #EndGunViolence #IANSA
* Holding seminars or workshops
* Organizing rallies or marches
* Participating in television, radio or newspaper interviews
* Conducting community awareness surveys
* Holding sports or arts activities that highlight the importance of reducing gun violence
* Releasing relevant studies and publications
The logos for this year’s Week of Action can be found in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese here. For a report on activities carried out last year, click on this link. Our briefing papers, including “What is RevCon3,” a “Global Overview of the Small Arms Problem, “The Programme of Action on Small Arms: Incomplete without the Inclusion of Ammuntion”, “Civil Society Advocacy Guide,” and “Five Key Issues for RevCon3” can be found here. Our video “Silencing the Guns” can be found here.
We are grateful for your upcoming contributions and look forward to this meaningful week of activism! If you have any further questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rose, UN Liaison Officer, International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA)
777 United Nations Plaza, 3E, New York, NY 10017 USA