DISCUSSION

GLOBAL MOVEMENT FOR A CULTURE OF PEACE

Home page and navigation bar

L'accueil et la barre de navigation

La recepción y la barra de navegación

You are invited to take part in any of the discussion questions. To write a reply or change language, you must be registered (click on "Register" below) and then log in.

Vous êtes invité à participer aux forums ci-dessous. Avant d'écrire, vous devez vous enregistrer (cliquez ci-dessous) et ensuite inscrivez vous.

Usted está invitado a participar de los forums que se encuentran aquí debajo. Antes de escribir, debe registrarse (clickear abajo) y entonces conectar..

» Welcome Guest

» Bienvenue Invité

» Inscrire :: Enregistrer :: Rechercher :: Aide

» Bienvenido Invitado

» Conectar :: Registro :: Búsqueda :: Ayuda

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]

Question: What is the message to us today from Mahatma Gandhi? CPNN article: Gandhi’s Legacy Lives On
CPNN Administrator
Posted: Dec. 31 1999,17:00

This discussion question applies to the following articles:

Gandhi’s Legacy Lives On
Honouring Gandhi’s legacy, Deputy Secretary-General reaffirms power of peaceful protest
Canada: Hamilton celebrates the 24th annual Gandhi Peace Festival
Profile PM 
David Adams
Posted: Aug. 10 2012,08:59

Gandhi gives us so many lessons, we should spend our lives learning them.  Here are just some examples that have influenced me.

I discovered in the earliest stages that pursuit of truth did not admit of violence being inflicted on one's opponent but that he must be weaned from error by patience and sympathy.

In fact, Gandhi teaches us that there are no enemies, only opponents whom we have yet to convince of the truth.  And what is truth?

Gandhi teaches us that truth is a mountain:

There are many paths to Truth, many relative truths, many diverse paths or ways to climb the mountain.

I think of this lesson when I meet others whose path I do not understand at first.  Are there places where our paths cross as we climb the mountain?

Hate the sin but not the sinner

We must never reject the person, but rather criticize their actions if we think they are harmful and try to change their behavior.  Again, no one is our enemy, even if they are in conflict with us.  It is a question of trying to understand and transform the conflict.  And what should be our motivation?  Why not anger?

I have learned through bitter experience the one supreme lesson to conserve my anger, and as heat conserved is transmitted into energy, even so our anger controlled can be transmitted into a power that can move the world.

Anger is the natural human response to injustice;  Let us learn from the child who cries out in frustration: "That's not fair!"
Profile PM 
0 replies since Aug. 10 2012,08:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]