DISCUSSION

GLOBAL MOVEMENT FOR A CULTURE OF PEACE

Home page and navigation bar

L'accueil et la barre de navigation

La recepción y la barra de navegación

You are invited to take part in any of the discussion questions. To write a reply or change language, you must be registered (click on "Register" below) and then log in.

Vous êtes invité à participer aux forums ci-dessous. Avant d'écrire, vous devez vous enregistrer (cliquez ci-dessous) et ensuite inscrivez vous.

Usted está invitado a participar de los forums que se encuentran aquí debajo. Antes de escribir, debe registrarse (clickear abajo) y entonces conectar..

» Welcome Guest

» Bienvenue Invité

» Inscrire :: Enregistrer :: Rechercher :: Aide

» Bienvenido Invitado

» Conectar :: Registro :: Búsqueda :: Ayuda

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]

Question: The movie Fahrenheit 9/11, Will it make a difference for peace in the November elections? CPNN article: Fahrenheit 9/11
Joe
Posted: July 12 2004,00:32

I have seen the movie and my opinion is that it will certainly have a bearing on what happens in November. The best part, for me, was neither the devistating critique of the Bush administration nor the powerful message against warmongering in general. Rather, it was the fact that the controversy has drawn in so many people, including people who are strongly opposed to Moore's point of view. Surely, this movie has increased our political awareness as a country and strengthened democratic dialogue.

I think Spike Lee put it best in a recent interview after viewing the movie: "The point is that issues are raised and people come out talking about them when they leave the theater."
Profile PM 
Charlie
Posted: July 27 2004,08:42

Moore's film is powerful, emotional, and offers information and perspectives completely absent from mainstream media. Along with Paul Krugman, Jon Stewart, and Al Franken, Moore is undeniably one of the most important figures on todays media landscape. The movie will almost certainly exert some influence over the election this November, although gauging exactly how large would be difficult.
Profile PM 
billdvm
Posted: Aug. 01 2004,11:59

I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 on opening night and saw it at one of the most fitting places to see it-the Mall of America.  The theater was filled to capacity.  Some people walked out of the movie probably because it was too painful to see how we have been misled.  What Micheal Moore presented was really nothing I had not seen or heard before but he put it into a cronological order where one could see more clearly the plan the neocons have.  Critics have said that Mr. Moore distorted facts.  The facts  presented are public knowledge.  He only presented the facts and it was up to the listerner/viewer to decide for him/herself whether it was believeable or not.  I believe this film will have a decisive effect on the November election.  Europeans are seeing it now and if George W Bush is re-elected  they will  think all Americans are crazy and America's  isolation from the world will really start.

One thing in the movie that has not been talked about is the scene where Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia is shown smoking a cigar in the White House probalby in the presence of President Bush.  Maybe Bush was smoking one as well.  If you looked at the label carefully you will see that it was a real Cuban cigar.  Given President Bush's stance on Cuba don't you think there is something wrong with that?

habedank@charter.net
Profile PM 
curiousdwk
Posted: Aug. 02 2004,10:18

I am concerned that although there has been and still is a lot of fallout whereby many people are upset with the current adminsitration because of what they have seen in this movie, that effect may be diminished greatly by November.  By then, more people will be voting based on the Iraq situation and/or the economy rather than because they feel they have been misled by yet another political scheme.

But it is good that enough people have been talking about these issues presented in the movie that they have been given permission to question and even doubt the current administration without fear of being considered unpatriotic.  That hopefully will also give them the permission to consider voting against the administration without feeling they are betraying their country.  That level of permission will be very critical come the elections.

--------------
May your days be such that your nights are filled with joyful dreams.
Profile PM YIM 
Posted: Aug. 13 2004,06:55

Fahrenheit 911 continues to have an impact in unexpected ways.  Now news reports, including CNN and the New York Daily News report that the Congressman chosen by Bush to head the CIA was interviewed during the filming of Fahrenheit 911, and in response to the question as to whether he was qualified to work for the CIA, here's what he said.

"I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably," Goss is quoted in an interview transcript.

"And I certainly don't have the technical skills, uh, as my children  remind me every day: 'Dad you got to get better on your computer. ' Uh, so, the things that you need to have, I don't have. "

Moore told Reuters that Goss, who until Tuesday was chairman of the House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, granted an interview to two of his producers without first checking to see who they worked for. " You'd think the person who was the head of the intelligence committee would ask a few more questions," said Moore.

"The reality is that Porter Goss was in charge of the oversight of the CIA during a time when the CIA didn't do its job, which in part resulted in the loss of lives of 3,000 people," he said via  telephone from New York.

Edited by CPNN Administrator on Oct. 15 2004,20:33
5 replies since July 07 2004,13:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]