DISCUSSION

GLOBAL MOVEMENT FOR A CULTURE OF PEACE

Home page and navigation bar

L'accueil et la barre de navigation

La recepción y la barra de navegación

You are invited to take part in any of the discussion questions. To write a reply or change language, you must be registered (click on "Register" below) and then log in.

Vous êtes invité à participer aux forums ci-dessous. Avant d'écrire, vous devez vous enregistrer (cliquez ci-dessous) et ensuite inscrivez vous.

Usted está invitado a participar de los forums que se encuentran aquí debajo. Antes de escribir, debe registrarse (clickear abajo) y entonces conectar..

» Welcome Guest

» Bienvenue Invité

» Inscrire :: Enregistrer :: Rechercher :: Aide

» Bienvenido Invitado

» Conectar :: Registro :: Búsqueda :: Ayuda

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]

Question: Can we create an international mothers movement, to raise a nonviolent generation? CPNN article: Mothers Uniting for Peace
eliz77
Posted: Mar. 04 2004,11:25

I am very interested in being involved here. Judy Meeker, the founder of More Than Warmth, and I helped organize a Mothers' Day event at a church in Nashville. Women from many communities were present dedicating Mothers' Day back to the arising of women for peace, as the founder, Julia Ward Howe intended. We are planning and encouraging women in many communities to hold educational dedications of Mothers' day rather than one event in a large city, to bring many events into many venues. We will pass out invitations and ideas in pamplets at events and meetings all around the area.

I would like to bring the inernational mothers movement to our Activist Summit in May [28,29,30] I live in The Farm community and we promote that the sacrament of birth be brought back to the family[we have a midwife school here] and that women have the power to guide how they give birth and that the children be brought up in the ways of peace.  "I will not raise my child to kill your child." There are links to the Farm community at http://www.peaceroots.org     I hope many women will come here to comment. love,Eliz
Profile PM 
RoseLord
Posted: Mar. 07 2004,20:10

:) Yes, we need to create an awareness of the original purpose of Mother's Day.  We have been circulating Julia Ward Howe's proclamation since last spring and have just made the decision to make it a part of our partnership packet.  We have also been discussing ideas about how to celebrate that day in a meaningful way.  We're thinking about organizing a boycott of violent toys.  I don't think we have enough time to organize it for this year but perhaps next year.

Regarding the sacrament of birth, I couldn't agree with you more.  One of Global Coalition's founding members teaches hypnobirthing.  It's a beautiful way of welcoming a new life into this world.  
Thanks for the wonderful work that you are doing and for your support.  I tried to check out your website but it was not accessible.  I'll try again.  
Peace and Joy, Rose
Profile PM 
eliz77
Posted: Mar. 13 2004,13:11

In Middle TN we are developing flyers and information formats to help churches, women's groups, and peace groups to organize within their areas and memberships to bring back the idea of mothers' day as a day of peace. Some folks are going to have family organized circles with children to read peace stories and talk about what it means to be peaceful. Some folks will have services in their churches on that Sunday, and there are other ideas that we are brainstorming with. I am putting together a flyer with ideas and on the front a picture of a woman carrying a baby and roses. It is from a collection of poems and art that I published last year, "Earth Apples" and will have inside a poem I wrote and read at a special event we held last year as a Code Pink event the Saturday before Mothers' Day. On the back is a poem written by a child that was read at the Poets for Peace in NYC last year. Inside will be announcements of all the events we learn about and suggestions for how to organize events.

I will include the 2 poems here and if you are interested in the flyer, I will send a pdf of it to anyone who wants it. I was hoping to see more women active on this board. I hope we can raise the women of the day.

"Women Of The Day Arise"

Yeah, you can buy me roses
for Mothers' Day.
But first,
get me justice.

Take me out to dinner
at a fancy feast.
But first,
feed the hungry.

Sisters and brothers,
dont't let them therow our sons and daughters
on Mammon's fiery iron altar of war.
Granny says we need
"Smart babies, not smart bombs."

So, yeah, get me PINK roses
for Mothers' Day.
But first,
get me peace.

Copyright 2003 Elizabeth Barger  May be used with cites

This poem is one of the most important written in this decade. It is by an annonymous child [4th grader] who read it February 2003 at the Poets for Peace in NYC.

If you are lucky in this life, a window
will appear on a battle field between
two armies.
When the soldiers look into the window,
they don't see their enemies, they
see themselves
as children, and they stop fighting and
go home and go to sleep. When they wake up
the land is well again.

Let's get in cahoots and spread the word. love,Eliz
Profile PM 
RoseLord
Posted: Mar. 23 2004,08:21

Dear Eliz,
Please send me a PDF of the flyer.  Maybe we can have a sister event in Pittsburgh.  I would like to share a quote from Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov.
"Nature has given women special powers but they use them badly or not al all.  It is important that they become aware of these powers and realize that the future of the human race is in their hands.  If women take the trouble to understand what I am saying they will become an unheard of force in the world, capable of sweeping all before it.  But to achieve an exalted ideal they must be united.  At the moment they are dispersed and disunited.  This is why they are not very powerful yet.  From now on, all the women of the world must unite for the regeneration of the human race.  Inspite of all their intelligence and skill men cannot do very much in this way.  It is women, mothers, who have been entrusted with this mission, for it is they who have been given the power of influencing the child in the womb."  and beyond.
Yes, let's do everything we can to raise the consciousness of the women of the world.
Rose
Profile PM 
curiousdwk
Posted: July 26 2004,11:25

Although I am a male, I share several traits which are often considered feminine such as empathy.  I have a great poster on the wall in my cubicle at work of four faceless women with prominent hands - indicating active engagements.  The first is holding a bird, the second a fish, the third a plant, and the fourth an infant.

The name of the poster is "Guardians" and the saying underneath it is what I love the most:  "I swear I will not dishonor my soul with hatred, but offer myself humbly as a guardian of nature, as a healer of misery, as a messenger of wonder, as an architect of peace."  The "architect of peace" and the woman holding the infant is right in line with this topic.

--------------
May your days be such that your nights are filled with joyful dreams.
Profile PM YIM 
5 replies since Feb. 25 2004,19:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]