DISCUSSION

GLOBAL MOVEMENT FOR A CULTURE OF PEACE

Home page and navigation bar

L'accueil et la barre de navigation

La recepción y la barra de navegación

You are invited to take part in any of the discussion questions. To write a reply or change language, you must be registered (click on "Register" below) and then log in.

Vous êtes invité à participer aux forums ci-dessous. Avant d'écrire, vous devez vous enregistrer (cliquez ci-dessous) et ensuite inscrivez vous.

Usted está invitado a participar de los forums que se encuentran aquí debajo. Antes de escribir, debe registrarse (clickear abajo) y entonces conectar..

» Welcome Guest

» Bienvenue Invité

» Inscrire :: Enregistrer :: Rechercher :: Aide

» Bienvenido Invitado

» Conectar :: Registro :: Búsqueda :: Ayuda

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]

Question: A community peace flyer, Why and how should it promote peace? CPNN article: Peace Flyer
CPNN Administrator
Posted: Jan. 31 2004,05:07

CPNN readers are encouraged to provide feedback here to Todd Hill on his request for advice about the flyer.

Edited by CPNN Administrator on Feb. 02 2004,06:38
Profile PM 
Lindsay
Posted: Feb. 06 2004,08:37

Hi Todd.  Writing and distributing flyers to the community is something important that we do all the time, and probably everybody has different experiences and lessons about how to do it.  I just finished working on a flyer for my local chapter of the Green Party.

Here are some of the things I would suggest.

Keep it small, cheap and colorful.  Our flyer is half of an 8 1/2 inch piece of paper cut vertically and printed on both sides on heavy paper.  Since it is photocopied and we don't want to pay for color copies, we color the Green logo by hand on each copy which doesn't take very long.

Keep the message simple.  We don't put a big message but our key values and an invitation for people to take part.

Tell people how to get in touch if they want to know more or take action.  We have our phone number (with an answering machine), an e-mail address (a special address piggy-backed on the address of one of our members who has a website) and a post office box number, and we monitor them regularly.

The trouble with the country now is that people are not engaged.  In the old days at least they used to be involved in neighborhood groups and service organizations, but now people are so stressed out trying to make ends meet or so paralyzed by the government and media message of fear that they tend to stay home.  We need to get folks out and active.
Profile PM 
Joe
Posted: Feb. 09 2004,12:27

It's true that people aren't as connected to their local communities as they should be. But, in my experience, canvassing local shoping centers or supermarkets or just going door to door in your neighborhood can be extremely successful and rewarding.

I graduated from high school 2 years ago. But, in my last couple years in town I started to get involved in local issues. I found that just standing outside the exit from Stop and Shop and handing out flyers was a great way to engage people. It only took a few hours to go through a huge stack of flyers.

Plaster your high school too. I was surprised how many students at my school, who I thought were apathetic, were, in fact, very interested in current issues. [make sure you check your school's postering policy first and get permission from the princple if need be....I learned that one the hard way!]

As far as the content, it's true that someone else has always said it better than you can. Try going to google and searching for quotes by Martin Luther King Jr., Gandhi, Thoreau, etc.

Just doing a search for 'peace quotes' in google came up with about 1,570,000 results.

There is so much inspiration and wisdom in the struggles of the past! From Jesus to Mandela, there's got to be something in there that is relevant to your situation and can show people from middle class suburbia that peace work should be a part of their lives.

I hope this has helped.
Profile PM 
2 replies since Jan. 31 2004,05:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]