DISCUSSION

GLOBAL MOVEMENT FOR A CULTURE OF PEACE

Home page and navigation bar

L'accueil et la barre de navigation

La recepción y la barra de navegación

You are invited to take part in any of the discussion questions. To write a reply or change language, you must be registered (click on "Register" below) and then log in.

Vous êtes invité à participer aux forums ci-dessous. Avant d'écrire, vous devez vous enregistrer (cliquez ci-dessous) et ensuite inscrivez vous.

Usted está invitado a participar de los forums que se encuentran aquí debajo. Antes de escribir, debe registrarse (clickear abajo) y entonces conectar..

» Welcome Guest

» Bienvenue Invité

» Inscrire :: Enregistrer :: Rechercher :: Aide

» Bienvenido Invitado

» Conectar :: Registro :: Búsqueda :: Ayuda

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]

Question: What do you think of big concerts that raise money for a cause? CPNN article: Nelson Mandela Foundation hosts a Benefit Concert for AIDS
CPNN Administrator
Posted: Dec. 31 1999,17:00

This discussion question applies to the following articles:

Nelson Mandela Foundation hosts a Benefit Concert for AIDS
Profile PM 
Bluebird
Posted: Dec. 07 2003,18:25

The link to MTV worked OK so I found a replay of the concert to listen to.  It was really worth while - a great concert.  

The rhythms, the music, the dancing, a wonderful mix of Africa and America.

One of the organizers was Bob Geldoft.  I remember Bob Gelfdorf from the big concerts that raised money in the 80's to fund the movement that overcame apartheid in South Africa and got Nelson Mandela out of prison so he could become president.

In this concert Nelson Mandela was onstage, with his wife Graca Machel (hero of the freedom movement in Mozambique) on one side and Oprah Winfry on the other side (when she wasn't on her feet dancing to the beat!)

In between songs, Bob Geldorf came out near the start and said "AIDS is a medical problem.  But the solution is political."  And later Nelson Mandela said, "AIDS is no longer just a disease, it's a human rights issue.  46664 was my prison number for my 18 years in the prison of Robbin Island.  Millions with AIDS are in danger of being reduced to mere numbers unless we act."

The mixture of music and politics was really dynamite.  Go to the MTV website and see while it's still being shown.
Profile PM 
1 replies since Dec. 02 2003,14:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]