DISCUSSION

GLOBAL MOVEMENT FOR A CULTURE OF PEACE

Home page and navigation bar

L'accueil et la barre de navigation

La recepción y la barra de navegación

You are invited to take part in any of the discussion questions. To write a reply or change language, you must be registered (click on "Register" below) and then log in.

Vous êtes invité à participer aux forums ci-dessous. Avant d'écrire, vous devez vous enregistrer (cliquez ci-dessous) et ensuite inscrivez vous.

Usted está invitado a participar de los forums que se encuentran aquí debajo. Antes de escribir, debe registrarse (clickear abajo) y entonces conectar..

» Welcome Guest

» Bienvenue Invité

» Inscrire :: Enregistrer :: Rechercher :: Aide

» Bienvenido Invitado

» Conectar :: Registro :: Búsqueda :: Ayuda

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]

Question: How can we work against war while supporting our military personnel? CPNN article: Mother's Day Peace Parade
CPNN Administrator
Posted: May 13 2003,07:42

Readers' comments are welcome on this question or on the articles, Mother's Day Peace Parade and Helena Vigil against the War and in Support of Cindy Sheehan and Military Families.
Profile PM 
CPNN Administrator
Posted: Aug. 19 2005,05:27

Sujet : The Vigils--All Across America.
Date : 8/18/05 9:46:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:    moveon-help@list.moveon.org (Tom Matzzie, MoveOn.org Political Action)
To:    coordinator of cpnn-usa.org

Dear MoveOn member,

Last night's Vigils for Cindy Sheehan were the largest event we've ever organized. With the help of TrueMajority and Democracy for America, we held 1,627 vigils together in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Well over 100,000 of us attended, from Alaska to Florida, Maine to Mississippi, Oregon to South Carolina and New York to Texas.

Here's Cindy's report, from her own vigil in Crawford: "Our candlelight vigil at Camp Casey was beautiful. There were hundreds of people here and we are hearing that hundreds of people were involved in vigils around the country. We at Camp Casey are so amazed and gratified that there were almost 1700 vigils around the country."

You can see pictures from the vigils, read reports, and look at a map of all the vigil locations at:

http://www.political.moveon.org/cindyvigils/pics.html? =&id=5916-1914697-bvaNaOBtT2Y3IR8NuW4utw&t=14

The vigils were covered by hundreds of media outlets across the nation. The San Diego Tribune Union-Tribune reported 250 people on a moon-lit beach—one of six in the nearby area. The Boston Globe headline was, "Vigils across state, nation back mother of dead soldier." The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The Houston Chronicle, Chicago Sun Times, Detroit Free Press, Miami Herald, Seattle Times and dozens of other big-city newspapers, TV stations and radio stations reported on the vigils.

But small towns were also touched. WTAP in Parkersburg, West Virginia reported with the headline, "Texas Protest felt in Mid-Ohio Valley." The Joplin (Missouri) Globe reported that MoveOn member Tamara Beinlich organized the vigil because her son likely will be "in the next round of soldiers going" to Iraq." The headline in the Dallas Morning News was, "Vigils amplify mother's voice: Events in Carrollton, elsewhere echo Crawford war protest." The Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel noted that "South Floridians join mother's protest against Iraq war" In Kentucky the Courier-Journal noted that, "Louisville vigil backs mother of soldier: About 150 support her protest of war" And the Racine, Wisconsin Journal Times headline was, "Mothers, others march for Cindy."

You can keep the story about support for Cindy Sheehan going by writing a letter to the editor. Click below to get started.

http://www.political.moveon.org/lte....=06405& =&posted=1&id=5916-1914697-bvaNaOBtT2Y3IR8NuW4utw&t=15

Better than the news reporting, though, were the reports we received first-hand, streaming into our e-mail account over night. Here are some of the best comments:

"For me the best moment was holding the candles high, and speaking with a mom whose son is in Iraq now. It was great to surround the family with support. It was great to be surrounded with sane, strong, committed people."
–Judi Mandl
 Harwinton, Connecticut

"The best moment was when the sun went down and hundreds of glowing Dixie Cup candles glowed softly as we sang "America the Beautiful."
–Molly Wigand
 Lenexa, Kansas

"Melanie House (whose husband was killed in Iraq) organized our vigil. She spoke briefly about her grief and about her hope that other wives and families will be spared the disaster that has come to her. She is very brave to be speaking out and I am very moved by her courage."
–Delia Rudiger
 Simi Valley, California

"I met a woman with photos of family members serving in the miliary pinned to her shirt. 'This is my brother and his son, both serving in this picture. The other is my sister's son, who's going back for a third time to Iraq.'"
–Northfield People for Peace and Goodwill
 Northfield, Minnesota

"Well, more and more people kept showing up, and that was the best part. To know that you are not alone, and that there are others in your own community who are so supportive of Cindy Sheehan, and finding a new way."
–Kate Murphy
 Scappoose, Oregon

"When a car pulled up with a little girl about 9 years old in it who had begged her Mom to stop and she said "I know how you feel... my cousin is over there." And, next thing you know she was out of the car and grabbing a candle. She had seen my sign with my nephew's picure on it with his baby... my nephew is on his way to Iraq in a couple of weeks."
–Maure Briggs- Carrington
 Turners Falls, Massachusetts

"Two or three Vietnam veterans happened upon our vigil and join in with love, tears and peace in their hearts. They were very grateful. A mom whose son is leaving in five weeks for Iraq was there and was comforted by all the love and connections. A young woman put a photo of her brother in Iraq on our small altar."
–Katherine Steele
 Lake Worth, Florida

"A little girl placing three American flags in front of the shrine of candles and signs."
–Michelle Murphy
 Manhattan Beach, California

"The best moment was when 6-8 veterans—asked to step forward—came to the center of the circle."
–Robert Guyer
 Reno, Nevada

You can read more reports, and see pictures from the vigils (they're amazing) at:

http://www.political.moveon.org/cindyvigils/pics.html? =&id=5916-1914697-bvaNaOBtT2Y3IR8NuW4utw&t=16

Thank you so much for helping to make the vigils a success, and for your support of Cindy. You give us so much hope that we'll be able turn this country around.

—Tom, Nita, Jennifer and the entire MoveOn.org Political Action Team
 Thursday, August 18th, 2005

P.S. To stay involved, visit our co-sponsors:

TrueMajority
http://www.truemajority.org/

Democracy for America
http://www.democracyforamerica.com/

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee
Profile PM 
1 replies since May 13 2003,07:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this question :: Email this question :: Print this question ]